To report a problem or concern such as a dead crow,
stagnant water, or non-used swimming pool:
Please contact Brian Smith at the Code Enforcement Office
(708) 210-2915 or email@example.com
The Village of South Holland has been actively treating for West Nile Virus a long time prior to its discovery in our area. The Code Enforcement and Public Works Departments have Licensed Pesticide Applicators on staff. They have been treating private property as well as all the Village owned public property for the prevention of Culex Pipiens, the known carrier of the West Nile Virus. The Village has an excellent working relationship with the South Cook County Mosquito Abatement District who treats the Village sewer drains as well as identifies areas throughout the village such as river beds, retention areas and many other areas that they consider a potential breeding ground.
How can I fight the bite?
- Limit time outdoors when mosquito activity is heaviest – dusk to dawn.
- If outside, wear socks, shoes, long pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Loose fitting, light colored clothing is best.
- Use repellents containing 25-35% DEET. Always follow label directions.
- Talk to your doctor before applying repellent to infants or children.
- Protect babies and small children by using mosquito netting over strollers.
Don’t allow mosquitoes to breed!
- Get rid of old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles or other containers that can hold water from your property.
- Empty plastic wading pools weekly or store upside down when not in use.
- Change water every few days in bird baths and plant saucers.
- Store boats covered or upside down.
- Water bowls for pets should be emptied and refilled daily.
- Keep weeds and grass cut short.
- Be sure screens in homes are in good repair and tight fitting.
- Keep gutters around your home clean and in good repair.
For More Information
Cook County Department of Public Health – West Nile Virus Hotline: (708) 633-8025
South Cook County Mosquito Abatement District
The Illinois Department of Public Health:
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases
PO Box 2087, Fort Collins, CO 80522
AccuWeather’s Mosquito Activity Forecast for South Holland