Yes ALL businesses operating in the Village of South Holland are required to have a license. This includes home businesses.
You can find it here by selecting the “Application for a Business License” link above, or you can also obtain one by visiting Angela Harris at the Customer Service Center, 16220 Wausau Avenue.
Actual license fees depend on the type of business. Fees range from $25.00-$600.00. Please refer to the Business License Fee Schedule for specific fee information. Please note that any business that is selling, preparing or storing food or food products will be subject to a Cook County health inspection. The health inspection fee is $200.00 and will be added to all applicable license fees.
Along with basic information about your business, you should be prepared to provide the following:
- Current Copy of lease agreement or closing document
- Copy of Sales Tax document from the State of Illinois
- Copy of Articles of Incorporation, Organization or LLC
- If you are licensed with the State of Illinois please bring a current copy of your State License.
- Number and type of company vehicles.
- Illinois business or sales tax number.
- Federal EIN (Employee Identification Number)
- Name of your waste disposal company.
- Name and phone number of your alarm company.
- Name and phone number of building owner (if you are a renter).
- Name and phone numbers of at least (2) persons to be listed as emergency contacts.
The approval process goes through the following steps after the application is completed, submitted to Angela Harris and appropriate fees are paid:
- Director of Economic Development John Watson will call or meet to introduce and to establish himself as a resource to your efforts.
- Application is first sent to the Planning and Development Zoning Coordinator for zoning verification.
- Fire Inspector Eric Bruinsma will contact you to conduct a fire inspection for life safety and adherence to village fire code (not applicable for home businesses).
- Building inspector Brian Smith will contact you to conduct an inspection for applicable instances (not applicable for home businesses).
- Once all inspections are satisfactorily completed, the application is sent to Director of Economic Development John Watson for final approval.
- Angela Harris is notified of all approvals, issues your license and gives to Director John Watson.
- Director John Watson will HAND DELIVER your license.
Approval will take between seven (7) and ten (10) business days, provided all inspections are satisfactorily completed.
RENEWAL notices will be sent each year on or before October 1 . You may be asked to update key contact information on the renewal form. A renewal fee is required annually. A new application is required only for physical moves to another location, name changes or ownership changes. No fee is required in these instances.
I have a home daycare; do I have to be licensed with the State of Illinois in order to obtain a business license from the Village of South Holland?
Yes, a copy of your current license with the State of Illinois will be requested when submitting your application. All home day care applications should be submitted to Brian Smith in the Building Department.